Friday 12 March 2010

70. Consistency, consistency, consistency...

Lately, i have had a bit of a revelation...which may seem completely obvious to most horsey people (in fact i'm sure it is) but to me it was a word that i had simply heard or read along with many others that had simply gone in and sat there rather than actually being activated. That word is...consistency. I am beginning to realize that it absolutely imperative that every single interaction i have with Spice is based on consistency.

From the smallest thing like putting her halter on and not letting her continue to eat her hay whilst i do so, to standing her still and only letting her take a step when i ask her to, to slowing her down if she changes her pace without me asking her to. I always need to be 'in charge' and need to demonstrate this whilst i am interacting with her in every way i can...this doesn't mean bossing her about it simply means not letting her make the decisions. I need to be the one doing the asking and (if need be) the one doing the telling only if of course i believe the request to be reasonable which if i didn't i shouldn't be asking her to do it in the first place. On an emotional level I need to know and feel that what i am requesting is reasonable and fair so i feel that i am justified in telling her to do it. I think that's where preparation comes into play...Is it fair to expect a horse that is terrified of tractors to listen and obey to your commands if you have made no effort to ever introduce the stimulus to them? Is beating your horse past the object of it's fear (as many a horseman would do) fair when you have never made an attempt to build their confidence??? I don't think so but sadly i know many people who would disagree with me.
Is dismounting as soon as you have your horses focus and leading your horse past the scary object if it builds up their confidence really that detrimental to your relationship? Afterall, you are still leading them...

I am also realizing how important it is to make sure you have your horses attention at all times as only then can they focus on you and look to you for direction and leadership, therefore the second you don't have their attention it's essential that you get it back...otherwise you create a potentially dangerous situation.

I think this is the hardest thing i will have to endure with spice as because she is incredibly aware of her surroundings and is very sensitive and very alert to any noise or movement she can easily be distracted during our interactions. I need to re-direct her focus onto me as soon it starts to drift...even when i tractor appears round the corner...and whilst i am managing to do this on the ground successfully i still do not know if i will be able to do the same when i am on her back...My plan is to have lots of sessions with her in the arena with an object of her fear and test my skills out then rather than out hacking so i myself can build up my confidence. So, i will let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment