Wednesday 10 March 2010

66. Linda Parelli's controversial video & statement...




http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80925308/


With regards the controversy surrounding linda parelli's horse training exercise featured in the video above linda has given the following statement...

'If I was seeing this clip with no knowledge of what exactly was going on, I think I would get upset too! It invites a lot of questions if one doesn't know what the situation or the outcome was.

This horse, Barney, was presenting a lot of challenges to his owner. He was at the Parelli Center in Ocala for a five day Level 1 course over five years ago that we filmed for educational purposes and published in our Level 1 Pack.

On this particular day, it was windy and Barney was terribly spooked. He could not focus on his owner and in fact his behavior was becoming dangerous because he had no awareness for personal space and would run right over you. He also was not fond of humans, and his past ownership experiences had been tough.

In the clip that was posted, Barney was starting to have a lot of trouble with the wind in the trees and bushes. We needed to teach him to move away from the human when asked using the “Driving Game” to move his front end over, but he was so upset he could not yield. All he could think about was running away but this was our chance to change his dangerous habits and give him the confidence in the leadership of a human. We had to get through to him so he could successfully and safely interact with other horses and humans, and I had to increase the intensity until it matched the intensity of his fear, which was dangerously high. The moment he responded, we stopped the stimulus but it required several repetitions before he could do it and finally calmed down.

I have heard accusations that this will make a horse head shy, but the opposite is true. Horses are head shy because they fear the human or because people hit them to punish them. This horse was not afraid of humans, but he didn't believe in them either. He was respectful in very limited circumstances but as soon as he got worried, he was a force to be reckoned with. Barney was very spooky and dangerous to ride, his history with humans was not positive.

Finally fear subsided and he began to trust the leadership of his human. In fact the next day, he was a very different horse, more confident, more relaxed and more connected to his owner. Together, they completed the course with great results and have gone on to do amazing things.

I have dedicated my life to making the world a better place for horses and humans; to bringing them together in harmony and understanding and solving terrible problems that some horses are sedated or euthanized for, which is not an option for Parelli. This horse was on his way out and finding us was one last piece of hope his owner had. Barney has become so successful that he now HELPS his owner help other people with emotional problems.

When we were producing the Level 1 pack, we debated as to whether or not this footage should be included (the entire piece of course), but decided it should be because some people will be faced with an extreme situation and need to know what to do to solve it for good. Some people use love, love and love on their horses. Others use leadership, leadership, leadership. Neither of them are effective...you need love, language and leadership, in equal measures. When we did all that, this horse finally found understanding and began to trust us, looking to us for safety instead of just running away.

I am glad that some people have asked for an explanation. I appreciate your care and concern, and being interested in learning the facts. I reached out to Paul H., Barney’s owner, and asked how their relationship has grown since spending time at our Center in Ocala and studying Parelli on their own. He sent me the following feedback that I would like to share with you.'

Linda Parelli



A letter from the owner:


“I took the time to read one of the threads (Chronicle of the Horse Forum) that sprung up as a result of someone posting footage of Linda and my horse Barney from the Level 1 DVD on the web. I first have to say that I was profoundly saddened by the angry and vicious tone of many of the posts and astounded by the assumptions and judgments that people had about Linda, Barney, and myself as an owner.

Barney spent the first 11 years of his life in a prominent traditional foxhunting barn. He received a corneal scratch in the hunt field that subsequently got infected. When it was determined that the eye couldn't be saved, his owner requested that he be euthanized. It was only through the actions of a veterinary intern and my search for a local horse to adopt that Barney is even alive today. I met Barney the day after his eye was removed. From the day I met him it was clear that humans were not his preferred company. He avoided people preferring to keep a safe distance. After two years out in a pasture, being fed and handled every day I started to ride him. He was an extraordinarily spirited horse that, while often responsive, always seemed to act out of fear rather than trust or partnership. This was the legacy I inherited and the one that Barney learned and experienced in early life.

My time at the Parelli Center in Ocala during which the DVD was filmed was a challenging and profoundly rewarding time for both Barney and myself. I am grateful for the assistance I received in dealing with a very difficult and potentially dangerous situation captured, in part, on the video and for the subsequent mentorship I receive from Linda and the Parelli team in transforming both my relationship with Barney and Barney's relationship with the human race. We weren't on the fast track and I've taken lots of missteps but we have continued to grow and learn. We completed our Level 2 some years back. He is semi-retired now but he is my rock steady mount in sport psychology clinics I conduct with other riders, as well as my trusted partner on trail rides both alone and ponying my two young sons.

Barney is still a horse of tremendous spirit. I guess a good way to described the difference now is that his spirit is now shared with me rather than channeled into his fear of me and others. Barney's relationships with humans has also been transformed. He is now one of the main horses who partner with me in my work in equine assisted psychotherapy. It is amazing to watch as he reaches out to clients time after time, helping to transform their lives. I know I am grateful for what I learned from the Parelli program, and I think anyone who knows Barney will say that he is grateful as well.

All the best from a grateful friend of Parelli.”

- Paul H., Barney’s Owner

I am very pleased to hear that barney the horse in the video is now doing very well and that the training obviously worked. I have a better understanding of what linda was trying to acheive. However, personally i still think that join up - monty roberts style may have been more effective and a less aggressive approach to use on this horse. I find it difficult to condone any form of violence or aggression unless it is an act of self defence. However, i can only judge from a distance as i have not seen the full video from beginning to end.

With regards Barney's behaviour, I have the exactly the same problem with Spice... when she becomes fearful she is unable to focus on me or anything else for the matter but the object of her fear. She 'loses' herself in her own fear and can be dangerous as she becomes unaware of her surroundings.

Normally when this happens i try to re-direct her fear by asking her to do lots of things, whether it's following my lead, stopping when i ask her to, backing up, yielding her hind quarters anything that helps bring her focus back on me i normally find that this works well and am pleased to say that so far i have never felt the need to do what linda did with barney.

So, i am thinking that i might video what i do with spice when she becomes right brained so you can all watch them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment