Monday 12 April 2010

100. Trotting Poles



Alex and Fenna doing some pole work...

Due to Spices abscess I still have to limit her work load so all i did today was long rein her over some trotting poles in the arena and walk her around the yard and through the entrance again. She was very good and listened to my commands attentively. However, there is still a slight reluctance to go through the entrance gate and although she responds well when i prompt and encourage her I'd really like to get to the point where she didn't even think about not going through as only then will i feel that she is accepting my authority and me as her leader. She is definitely a quick learner though as it has only taken two attempts to get her to this point which is a long way from turning around in the opposite direction and trying to jump back into the field! I think she has definitely learned that there is no way i am 'giving in' (at least on this).

With regards her barefoot transition I must admit that at the moment i am feeling very frustrated, i wouldn't mind not going out if i could ride her in the arena and practice maneuvers and jumping or even just longe her but due to her abscess re-occurring i can't do any of these things. I feel as though i have done so much ground work with her that now is the perfect time to start riding her in order to solidify our bond and i guess i'm beginning to get 'bored' of doing the same old same old which makes me think that Spice must be getting bored too.

I read recently that it only takes 5 months for the sole to regain the thickness needed to be barefoot so in view of the fact that it has been almost five months since she was last shod she should now have reached this stage although i guess with wear and trimming she may still have a couple of months to go. But in view of this, if she is still getting abscesses in a couple of months time i think i may have to admit defeat. I am definitely going to see how she goes in hoof boots but i do wonder how comfortable the boots will be and if they will cause any rubbing/soreness.

No comments:

Post a Comment