Monday 25 January 2010

16. Monty Roberts - Join Up



My first attempt to do Join Up! Monty Roberts Style!

So today, i attempted to do 'join up' with Spice for the very first time. At first i attached a lead rope and halter and tried my best to guide spice around the outside of the ring but each time we got to the half way point of the pen she'd cut through the middle and end up just doing semi circles. Try as i might i could not get her to stop cutting through the middle towards me... and each time she'd do this i'd lose the tension in my rope and worry that she was going to trip over it preventing me from focusing on her. So, i decided to try doing it without the rope and just use my body language to communicate with her. I found this heaps easier. Before she even tried to cut through the middle of the pen i was ready for her to do it and positioned myself in such away that allowed me to push her towards the outside. I was focused purely on her movement and nothing else and was reaping the rewards when she was going around the outside. However, then she attempted to try going in the opposite direction without me asking her to so sInce i hadn't asked her to do this i knew i had to block her path way and send her round the other way. She was clearly being defiant - all the signs were there rearing up and tossing her head but i was not phased and if i'm honest i enjoyed the fact that she was communicating with me and felt completely in control. After a few attempts at over dominating me she soon gave in and decided that i wasn't asking that much of her and that the sooner she'd oblige the sooner i'd stop asking her.

At the end she came and met me in the middle of the pen and followed me around so overall for our first attempt i think we did really well. I think i will aim to do this for at least 10 mins every other day as i think it helps set the right boundaries in your relationship with your horse and massively aids communication and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment