Saturday 12 June 2010

154. Groundwork and why i love it!

Today i did much the same as i did yesterday with Spice, 5 minutes of groundwork, 10-15 minutes of lunging and 10 minutes of loose jumping which sounds like quite a bit to me but it doesn't seem to get Spice the least bit tired! Every time i go to the yard I keep thinking 'i'll give her a day off today' but she seems so willing that i find myself thinking maybe i'll give her tomorrow off instead. :)

She managed to clear 3ft today so is definitely making progress - no refusals and all clear. I find myself wondering why i didn't concentrate on doing this ages ago instead of obsessing about being able to hack out alone. I never thought working in the arena could be this much fun and i'm not even riding her at the minute!

There's something deeply bonding about doing groundwork with your horse...for one you're both on the ground, on neutral territory so automatically have an even footing.

Two, you're both free to express yourself using body language without any restraints meaning you can really communicate with one another.

And three you can see each other! which again enhances your ability to communicate with one another.

I see improvements in my relationship with Spice every day thanks to having concentrated on groundwork.

The video below demonstrates the success you can have with your horse when concentrating on groundwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment